Thursday, November 09, 2006

Copycat


I like the way Seeni writes his blog. With appropriate images, proper context and leaving passage that will provoke readers thoughts and make them to present their comments. Out of many blogs I read his blog has reasonably many comments. In our recent concall's we used to talk about his professionalism in creating blog.

Out of all this, I like the way he uses images for his texture. So I thought I should be using that in my blog ( now you can guess why I kept this topic). I think there is nothing wrong in being a copy cat. In corporate terms we can coin this as Reusability. Being in mainframe for about 3 quarters in a decade (7.5 years - courtesy seeni) I was never able to write a cobol program with out copying the various division from an old program. Once I tried doing that and was not able to compile it. I don't know what is the problem, it got executed when I copied the same text from another program. Pretty funny though.

Copying or accepting the practices existing currently saves a lot of time. Basically it avoids reinventing wheel. That is the reason we bring all the stake holders, related project leaders during project start up meeting.

Most of the companies uses the MBNQA model for their business excellence. Advantage of using proven technique is one we know it works, it is a form of authentication and the last one is it is a proven technique and we save time and money in researching new things.

So the whole world is revolving around copying.Corporate copy mission, goals and models. Projects copies best practices. Political parties copies promises. Moon copies sun light. As a professional I copy sorry reuse certain things.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarangan said...

Yes..There is nothing wrong in being a CopyCat. In fact, this "CopyCat"ing gives us a chance to enhance a concept which is even better than the Original.

To quote a commercial example, "Okadu" was a super hit film. But still the fast screenplay and heroism was missing there. This was added in "Gilli" which made it even better than the original. The same case is true with "Unakkum Enakkum".

So, Copying is not at all a problem. But it should be like the act of Moon. Getting the hot Sun light and giving only the light to earth....

8:19 AM  
Blogger Seenivasan said...

Barani...first of all , with a great humility, thanks much for your compliments about my blog.
(vashistar vaayal bramha rishi pattam....!!!)

About writing a fresh COBOL program...man, I know how hard it is....I used to maintain a template program that comes in handy.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Baranidharan said...

Sai, thanks for making the first foot print in my blog. I agree copycat'ting makes lot of things easier

12:04 PM  
Blogger Baranidharan said...

Seeni, I really felt good about your blog that what probed me to write about it.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Arasan said...

"Copy Cat", that is one of the biggest strategies in Marketing world.

Sorry Barani, but your comparison to write a small COBOL program looks absurd to me!

One can copy strategy from others but not the execution.

Like in your case, you have copied the idea of putting pictures from others, but what you have written in your blog is all yours.

Answer this question? And you will come to know what will be the essence behind a copy cat?

How much time you spend to write a blog?
How much time you spend for your blog's aesthetic?

Of course Presentation matters (Copy Cat). But what matters more is your content. (Similar to COBOL program)

3:53 AM  
Blogger Baranidharan said...

I agree. Replicating ideas is good though. There are so many mp3 players replicating Apple's IPOD. That may be the reason for their patent on Video touch screen.

Cobol example I added, is just for a joke.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barani, I feel Copying is not an easy Job. We should know the right place to copy from and paste it at the right place. It is tricky then crating a new one. I've seen many people failed in that.

BTW, Music director DEVA is my favorite CopyCAT ever. He knows how to adapt any copied content.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home