Monday, December 24, 2007

Mal(l) Friends

"Neenga Tamil'a (are you tamil)" "Are you from India" " I am also from south india" "I love chennai". These words make you happy especially when you hear it in abroad. So many miles away from home, it is good to talk about home. But not in New Jersey, you may or may not know that NJ is a mini India. Think of a situation where someone ask you in chennai "Neenga Tamil'a". Samething applies in NJ when someone ask "Are you from India" because there are lot of indians over here. But still when I go to mall, I used to encounter a situation where someone ask me "are you Indian". Initially I was surprised, but thought the other guy just want to get friendly. With in seconds he gets your phone number. The problem starts from the week next, he will start calling with some business proposition about selling or buying a product, he will not leave you even if you are not interested. You know, I am very good at sales.. give me a superbowl ticket I will not be able to sell for next one year. You see my sales skill, I am really trying to get rid of such people nothing personally against them it is only such activities does not suit me. We usually meet such individual in Mall, my wife gets panic when somebody ask this question.
Today a guy asked me "Neenga Tamil'a". I started walking in the opposite direction pretending that I did not hear him.

7 Comments:

Blogger Arasan said...

I too come across same situation @ seattle quite often. But I used to get more information from them rather I am giving information to them :)

Next time if somebody asks you "R u from India" or "Neenga Tamil-a" type questions, start putting mokkai with him, then he will start running after seeing you :)-

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arasan vazhi thani vazhi :-)

6:14 PM  
Blogger Siva said...

ada pavi .. he could have asked it in a casual way. If he has a blog then he will write Tamils in NJ are rude :-).

But yes, I met one such guy. He called me after a week. Told him that I am not interested and stop calling.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Siva, yes that was rude. I felt bad about that. But I met couple of people like that and everyone turned to be a "business" person. So whenever somebody ask this question, I could not think that he is trying to be friendly.

Yeah somebody may write blog saying that NJ tamil are rude :-)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Vimal Pai said...

True. I am sure most of us have come across this situation. It happened to me in BlockBuster once. I could sense it from the way he said "Hi", that he meant "Hey there...want to try investing in my business that I recently started". I just said "Hi there" in a pre-occupied way and moved to another aisle. I guess, I was lucky that he didnt approach me again.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Vimal, that have to be your lucky day Vimal :-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger bangalore_engineer said...

Yup. Mostly they are also AMWAY guys or some multi-level-marketing person. I used to do the same, when I used to live in the US.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home